Tuesday, November 20, 2007
Pacing
It's almost Thanksgiving and I can honestly say, I'm looking forward to not eating too much (in one sitting, that is). LOL. It's all about pacing oneself which is important in everything - not just writing. Although I have read books lately that make me question the concept of pacing.

I've read books that move at a snail's pace and also those that are intent on beating the turtle & the hare to the finish line. Then of course, there are those that discover a happy medium between the two. Pacing is vitally important unless you want a reader sailing your book against the wall with a pitch worthy of Manny Ramirez.

Pacing problems can be conquered by considering the purpose of a scene and how it's moving the story along. I've written great scenes just riddled with angst, tension and outstanding dialogue and you know what? They added absolutely NOTHING to the story at all. That's when I know I've fallen into feeding my own ego and have left the characters doing nothing but hanging out - just chilling - while I take over THEIR story!

Even when physical action isn't taking place, the story still needs to move forward. But even if you have what I call "relaxation" scenes (i.e., sequels), there still needs to be a purpose to the introspection.

Move the story forward and at the end of the scene the reader should have learned something new about the character(s). Otherwise, what is the point besides boring the reader - and who wants to do that?

Happy Thanksgiving, Happy Writing & Happy Reading!!!!
posted by Liz @ 8:22 AM  
1 Comments:
  • At December 03, 2007 11:26 AM, Blogger Dawn Chartier said…

    Liz -
    You are so right when it comes to pacing. It's harder to do than it sounds. My old critique partners said I race to get to the end before I start...(grin)....

    Anyway, congrats on the Brava, loved your entry.

    Dawn Chartier
    www.dawnchartier.com

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

Yahoo! Avatars Home: Southern State, United States
About Me: I'm shy...seriously!
See my complete profile

What I'm Reading

    Photobucket

Previous Post
Archives
Links
Template by



Jodici Designs
Jodici Designs